Thursday, November 19, 2009

Amatuer Skills

As far as my hobby list goes, like any girl, shopping would be my number one. Thrift shopping, I might add. I hate to say that I am cheap, but well, I am. My husband loves to deer hunt. I love to price hunt. And I get the same reaction to finding a good deal as he does killing bambi. (no comments please!)

But deer hunting and price hunting is not what this post is about. It's about hobbies. (Did I mention I have ADD?)

Another one of my hobbies I have loved since I was in elementary school is making wreaths. I have lots of memories of me and my friend Nikki going to Michael's and making small wreaths with ribbon and painting little wood thingys mauve, blue, and peach, and putting magnets on the back for our mom's fridges. I was a pro with a glue gun at an early age. Then I gradually made bigger ones, too.

But I haven't made a wreath in a long time...but plan on making some for christmas, and re-doing old ones of my mom's. I bought the stuff to make this wreath like Living with Lindsey for my mom...stay tuned to see how it turns out!

From wreaths, I transitioned into making flower arrangements because I couldn't bear to pay the prices retailers want, when I know I can make the same thing at the cost of supplies. (hello 50% off from hob lob!) And I love to find containers at the goodwill. And mostly, because it's more fun to make them, than buy them! I guess it's about using that creative side of my brain.

I posted some pics of some arrangments on my FB and had some positive response, so I thought I would share here in bloggy land.

This one sits on my dining room table during the year....


I made 2 recently for fall...I can't pick a favorite...I love both of them. One for the mantle (yes, I used to sell Southern Living :) ....


sorry this is so dark :( and whoops, crooked candle! While reading the Nester one day, she talked about layering accessories, so I gave it a shot. Mom says it's too much. And if you knew my mom, you would know what an oxymoron that statement is. And I mean that in a loving way :)



and one for the dining room....I found 2 of these containers at Goodwill for 5 bucks each. Used one container for this arrangement in my dining room....

front...

back...

And used the other container for this arrangment I made for my boss (from the team) for boss' day. (which really looks better in person) This fits nicely in her nook at the top of her stairs.



My cousin had this arrangement on her kitchen table, so I took a picture of it, and copied it. Easy peasy. And it usually sits on my kitchen table, and not the loft wall. (in case you were wondering) Container came from ROSS ($8)


I made this for my sister Melody a few years ago. She lives in Marietta, GA and I miss her so...She already had the container.



And this usually sits on my mantle...(container by SLAH) It might go back up after Christmas...we'll see...


Speaking of Christmas, here is a Christmas arrangement I made last year for both myself and my bestie Julie. I tried lots of different rooms, and different lighting to get a good pic, but this is the best I could do. The container (you can't see) is a round metal, from Old Time Pottery ($9) that I spray painted black.



Some people ask me to make arrangements for them, and I would love to. BUT just be warned things might shift a little :) I use styrofoam (or whatever the green stuff is called) in the bottom of course, but the fillers are usually just stuck in there. I just don't have the patience to secure every stem (ie ADD).

Maybe I'll do a tutorial one day...lol.

What is your hobby??

No comments:

Post a Comment