Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Lipstick Kitchen

We have lived in our house 5 years now. I love our house. It had everything on our wishlist when we were buying. God really blessed us. And it was a blank slate, which was awesome. A realtor had bought it and really did a lot of cosmetic work. The house was built in '88, so all the trim and doorways were brown wood. He painted all of it white, and all the walls were painted a flat taupe. It had new carpet, new marble in the entry, new heating & air, and new white linoleum in the kitchen.

I'll have to dig to find pics of the house when we moved in, but here is an early pic of the kitchen.

Compared to the zero-lot-line we came from, this kitchen was my dream kitchen! Lots of countertops and cabinets!! The other side of the kitchen (that you can't see) is the eating area. It has great bones and great potential.

But then came babies who cost money. And a budget for a new kitchen is put on hold. And like the hubby says, everything is functional. (I hate that word)

So I lived with the cream ceramic tile with scattered fruit tiles for a couple of years. Unitl I couldn't stand it, and painted them green. I wished I would have done it earlier. And I lived with no hardware for a few years, then finally found some I liked from Lowe's.






But the floor. OMG the floor. It was ok for about a year. Then as the babies came, and just living in the kitchen as most families do, it is harder to clean, and the white shows everything! And not to mention the track mark in the floor from the vacuum.


The kitchen is the first thing I see when I walk in the door from the garage. And everytime I walk in, I think about what I want to change. And as much as I am in the kitchen cooking, all I can think about is the changes. Changes that are el cheapo.

My contractor friend came and gave me an estimate to re-do. My 'cosmetic' changes were in the tens of thousands. (Did I mention I'm cheap?) On to the next idea. I had painted my cabinets in our old zero lot line before. I knew I could do it, but just for giggles I got an estimate = $3k. I think I'm in the wrong profession. My mom used a reasonable counter-top guy, so I had him come and give an estimate on low-end laminate = $2500. (enter game show wrong answer buzzer sound)

So...I've researched some DIY projects on blogs and forums, and here is my plan until we win the lotto. I'll call it my Lipstick Kitchen plan. And the total cost should be about $1100. I'll keep ya'll posted on the budget.

Wall color: The current color throughout the house is Asian Jute from Farrell Calhoun. It's been up a few years now, and I'm ready to change it. I want a green kitchen. So I am going to use the same green that is on my tile backsplash b/c I love it so...and greens are sooooo hard to shop for!

Cabinets: I love black cabinets, but my hubby doesn't. I also love the french country cream cabs with a black glaze...so here is my inspiration.

Haven't broke it to hubby yet that I am planning on painting cabinets again...shhh...

I bought paintable beadboard wallpaper from Graham & Brown for the door panel insets, and cabinet ends...see inspiration here at the Southern Hospitality.

Countertops:  The builder grade laminate at Lowe's is really not bad looking...And it comes in all the popular granite colors, and it is el cheapo!! I'm going to use the black labrador color. Yay black! It will hide more dirt than the cream laminate I have now.

Backsplash:  The tile is coming down!!! I don't care what it takes...and pretty sure I'll use the faux silver tile backspash from Lowe's...still not committed to this, though.

Floor:  I've looked at different laminate hardwoods, but even at 1.99 sq/ft., it wasn't cheap enough for me. I finally found some peel and stick vinyl from Lowe's...(I told you this was a lipstick re-do!)And read many positive comments about it on the Garden Web forum. And I got it on sale for .88 sq/ft! yee haw! Can't wait to cover up the white linoleum! My hubby bought the floor for me this week and I cried like a baby! It's the small things in life, you know?? Thank you honey!! I love you!

Light Fixtures:  Scroll back up and look at that fan. ugh. I've been wanting a new fan in the kitchen ever since we have moved in. We did replace the globe with a light kit. But it's FUNCTIONAL! Not sure yet if I will paint this one, or get a new one...we'll see. But I've got plenty of black and brown spray paint (ie, free)!!!

Island:  I don't have one. And I don't want to pay for one. So my idea is to buy an unfinished base cabinet (36x24--nothing too big), use the beadboard wallpaper for the insets and ends, paint it black, slap some countertop on it, and hopefully it will look a little something like this. If I could just have one barstool at the end of the island I would be elated. Two barstools= ecstatic.

So we'll see how this goes! I'm tired of thinking about it...I'm ready to do some work!

The first thing I'll tackle is re-painting the walls. That's easy. Then I'll tackle the cabinets. With some extra time off during Turkey week and Christmas, and New Years...I'm hoping to get the whole kitchen done by the end of January! So stay tuned!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hi there!
    My name is Michelle, that's my kitchen cabinet painting site you linked to! :-) How neat to find it on someone's blog. I for one cant wait to see your finished kitchen!

    I painted my bathroom cabinet with the same paint, but no glaze. Here's the pics of that adventure!
    http://m-another-m.blogspot.com/2008/06/damn-m.html

    Wish you all the best with your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete