Monday, February 1, 2010

Judith & Ree


Have you seen the movie 'Julie & Julia'?  Cute movie...rented it on OnDemand the other night when we were iced in.  Don't worry--I'm not going to start blogging my way through a cookbook.  But if I did, my first cookbook would be The Pioneer Woman Cooks, by Ree Drummond.  If you haven't see her blog, it is a must read.  From cooking, to photography, to her love story (city girl meets cowboy).  She rocks.  And no, I'm not obsessed with her like Julie Powell was obsessed with Julia Childs.  But I'm a big fan.  Her book tour came through Nashville, but it just didn't work out to get up that way.  My sister went to her book signing in Atlanta.  AND FORGOT HER CAMERA.   But she did get her cookbook signed.  Yes, I'm jealous.  I might just have to do a cookbook switch-a-roo when I go to Atlanta this weekend.

One of Ree's recipes is Marlboro man's favorite sandwich.  Like most families, we get in a food rut a lot.  So I thought we would try this recipe.  It's simple.  And when looking for new things to try, I have to look for recipes that can still be good without onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. for the hubby.  He's a meat, potatoes, & corn kind of guy.  (love you honey).

It's a very easy recipe.  Very yummy. Even without the onions.  Throughout cooking the meat, and browning the buns, I used a stick of butter.  Oh yeah.  But I think I used too much salt.  Next time hubby would prefer to use regular ground beef instead of cube steak.  We put cheese on top.  And we didn't use tobasco.  But like I said, very yummy. 

I don't claim to be a cook, or a domestic diva.  My husand didn't marry me for my cooking or housekeeping skills.  But it does feel good to try something new.  It's funny how trying a new recipe gives you a sense of accomplishment. 

Go me!  And Thanks Ree!

No comments:

Post a Comment