Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dresser Project: Part 2

After searching the blogosphere high and low the past year, I have seen so many different paint treatments.  Some very involved, and some very simple.  I have realized that there is not a real right or wrong way.

I have never heard of liquid sander until this week.   So I went to Lowe's and bought some.  I followed the directions, and finished in no time.


 I used a 220 grit sandpaper, too, on a couple of areas.  Feeling pretty proud of myself, I come inside, and decide to google the liquid sander for giggles.  I am an information junkie, and like to read reviews.  Well guess what.  You get better results if you paint within 1 hour of applying the liquid sander!  Did I mention I 'sanded' at 11pm??  I thought I was doing good...getting one step out of the way before in the morning.  But that is just my luck.

Much to my husband's dismay, I know how to paint furniture.  And I love to paint furniture.  But he does not prefer painted furniture.   But I guess I am always searching for a new, easier way, to give a facelift, without all the chaos that comes with it.  My attention span is minimal, and I ususally lose focus, and end up doing a shotty job.

But I love the treatment Jenny used at Anything Pretty.  My honey-glazed cabinets are definitely on my to-do list.  But I knew I could use this treatment on the dresser, too.

I bought some Valspar Clear Glaze, and I already had some Rustoleum Semi-gloss black from another project.

I used a 4:1 ratio.  4 parts glaze, 1 part paint.  Or was it 3:1??  Oh well..

At first, the munchkins were under my feet.  Thank goodness M found a leftover christmas present in the garage that kept them occupied until G'mother & G'daddy picked them up and took them to the park!  Thanks mom & dad!!



Just as a reminder:
Here are some before pics...



After the first coat went on, I have to admit I was a bit worried b/c it was so thin.  But I did like how the brown showed through.

Here are pics after the 1st coat.



And here are pics after the 2nd coat...


Stay tuned for the reveal...after a coat of poly!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE it already. It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great! love that you are posting as you go! can't wait to see the finished product

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

    ReplyDelete