Monday, April 26, 2010

Kitchen Cabinet Sneak-Peek

Sssssshhhhhhhhhh....do you hear that?  I hear singing... 

Is it the angels singing??  

I think it is...but they aren't singing hymns...

Oh I hear it now...


NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA
HEY HEY HEY
GOOD-BYE!



GOOD-BYE HONEY OAK!


HELLO LOVE!





Sorry for the corny intro.  That's what happens when you spend all weekend in the garage.  

Like I shared earlier, I've finished 2 out of 3 sections of cabinets.  I'll share a tutorial at a later time.  But this has been a process.  I'm pretty proud of myself for really taking my time.  I've even done the inside of the doors the same way...so that is why it's taking me a little longer than I thought.  AND I've poly'd the front of the doors, too. 

As you can see from the middle picture, I took down the quarter-round that trimmed the soffit/top of the cabinets.  I think we've found some new trim that will frame it out nicely.  But I'm not committed to it just yet.

If you have been following me for a bit, you are probably asking yourself, 'where is the beadboard wallpaper?  Wasn't she going to put it in the insets?'  I'm so glad you asked!!  (read: delirium) 

The answer is yes, the original plan was beadboard wallpaper in the insets.  I loved it and I was so excited about it.  But I got to thinking about all my cabinets (21 doors), and thought it might be too much.  I saw a picture of one kitchen, and it looked beachy--not french country.  And I got skeered. 

My sis-in-law Tammy who is a builder said she did a kitchen with beadboard only on the bottom cabinets.  I thought about that idea, too, but played it safe and left it off the insets.  But I will use it on the cabinet ends.  And I figure I can always add it later if I wanted to change the look again. 

So that is your sneak-peek!  Let me know your thoughts!  Have a great rest of the week!!!

4 comments:

  1. FABULOUS!!!!!! I am so impressed with your DIY work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks soooo good. and i like it without the beadboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith. I remember when your mother and I were pregnant at the same time with you and Kate. My mother was out in my garage stripping a dresser for Kate and your 8-year-old brother, David, came over to visit. He stood in the garage watching my mother work for a few minutes and said, "My mother can't do anything." Sooooo...I guess you got your domestic skills from your father?

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Those look amazing! Girl -- you are so talented! How do you have time for everything?

    ReplyDelete