Sunday, May 16, 2010

Need to FOCUS.

The past few weeks have been crazy around here.  Between work and the teenager's schedule, I'm not sure where these weeks have gone.  And I think the kitchen cabinets sucked both the physical and mental energy out of me.

And along with the kitchen project, I've got ideas for the dining room, and the bathroom, and the den. Oh who am I kidding, I've got plans for every room! (hubby is cringing now) 

But being cooped up in the house the past few weekends because of the rain, I have been piddling from room to room..what I like to call Decorating A.D.D.  Just piddling...not really accomplishing anything. 

The other day I read that Stacey at the Blessed Nest was suffering from the same thing.  Her description of getting distracted is so me!  I got out some paper and made my list of what I wanted to accomplish in each room, but focusing on the kitchen first, of course. (I will refrain from publishing my list(s).  I do need the accountability, however, it may stress my hubby too much.  Small doses are better for him :)

Today, I did accomplish a couple of things...one thing checked off the list in the kitchen, and another thing checked off the bathroom list.   Maybe I should have split this post into 3 posts, but oh well.  Try to keep up!

A year or so ago, I bought this cabinet from Big Lots.  I wanted a red cabinet.  Not so much the rooster, but he grew on me.  I always knew I would eventually paint over him.  Today was the day.  After painting my kitchen green, the red cabinet was not cutting it.  



I just roughed it up a little, and used some Valspar Satin Black from Lowes you can buy off the shelf.  Two coats, no poly (yet).  I found this leftover hardware from another project. bonus!

On to the bathroom!

The past few years I have made my own shower curtains.  It's more fun that buying one.  And I like a shower curtain to hang as close to the ceiling as possible.  I can't tell you how many curtains I've had.  The teenager just rolls his eyes every time he goes in there and sees something new.

The other day I was in TJ Maxx wondering around.  When I saw the pattern of this curtain, I liked it a lot.  But I have never used any of the colors before.  It made it all the more intriguing.  I've been wanting to get out of my gold/red/green palette, and this was just the thing to break out of the safe zone.  And of course my mind was racing about how I could change it up and add more fabric, but in reality, the chances of that are pretty slim.

Here was the lastest mistreatment in the bathroom.  I love all the colors, and will re-use the fabric somewhere:





As I was taking down the curtain, I thought, I've GOT to paint this rod.  You see that beige thing?  It's just a beige, plastic tension rod.  I've been wanting to paint it for 5 years.  But today I stopped and painted that sucker.  ORB of course.  (Oil-rubbed bronze, for you ORB virgins)  It made such a difference! 

Here is the new curtain.  What do you think?  Lately, I have been attracted to light and airy.  And I just love the orange, green, and blues.





I did switch out the globes, too, on the bathroom light today.  But didn't have a chance to paint the brass.  It's a small detail, but just one of those things crossed off the list.

What's on your list(s)??






No comments:

Post a Comment