Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Score!

Hubby mentioned to me a while back that my S-I-L Vickie was getting rid of some furniture, and thought I might want it.  I was interested, but it's been so crazy around here I didn't think about it again.

Until last week...she texted me some pictures of a vanity, a dresser, and a bed.  This was her furniture when she was growing up.  She just wanted to gift them to us for Meredith's room.  When I saw the pics, I was so ecstatic!

I've been wanting to re-do Meredith's room at some point...but there are some other things on the list before I got to that.

So here is what I'm working with...

Brass bed...Headboard + footboard...look how tall it is!


Vanity + mirror..
I might just have to steal this for my entry way...hmm...



And Dresser...


There is a story behind the dresser.

My father-in-law brought this piece home to my mother-in-law.  (can't remember the year)  Mom said, Oh, I used to have a dresser like that when I was little.  She remembered her mother getting mad at her for carving ABC into the jewelry lid.

Guess what...




dodododododododo

So I'm really happy that now Meredith has some special pieces with history, that we can keep in the family.  Especially those from Vickie...because Meredith adores her.  (well, everyone adores Vickie)

Thank you Vickie & Dennis!  We love you!

I doubt I will paint these pieces...I will probably sand them down and re-stain a darker finish...
But what about the brass bed?  Keep? or Paint?
Give a sister some feedback!


Like I always say, Stay tuned.

Maybe I'll complete a project before the end of the year.


Linking up to

4 comments:

  1. Hey, girl! I love the furniture. I would DEFINITELY stain the dresser, mirror and vanity with a darker stain, but I'm likin' the brass bed. You can get away with that shabby chic look in a little girl's room. I love it. Can't wait to see pics of the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would spraypaint the brass bed with Krylon spraypaint for metal. They have loads of colors. I would spray it white, but if you have a little girl you can get away with pink. What a great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, the bed. My friend had an ugly old brass bed and they spray painted it (with the metal spray paint) so that it came out to be an oil rubbed bronze. I can't remember b/c it was YEARS ago but I swore that if I ever came across a brass bed that's what I'd do BUT since it will be in Meredith's room I'd do WHITE. All the way. Pink is cute but if you ever want to do something else with it - guest room, sell it, white will be much easier to deal with. Or WHO CARES?! Paint it pink! My mom still can't believe I painted Avery's dresser green. But it's avocado and so sooooooothing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm visiting via Southern Hospitality. Those pieces of furniture are lovely. I've never seen anything in quite that style before. And what a wonderful story to pass on to your daughter. Lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete