Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ballard Inspired Mantel

It seems like each year, I'm just not satisfied with my mantel...I'm sure it's fine...but, to me, it's always missing something. 

Here is 2008...


2009...



This year, I wanted to be simple in my christmas decor.  (bwahahahaha)  I'm just not sure simple is in my DNA.  More on that later.

If I had a picture of my Ballard inspiration I would post it here...but I don't...

BUT--If you remember your Ballard catalog, the mantel had simple garland hung above the mantel, with mercury glass & candlesticks.  And there were vases filled with berries....like this...




You know...those berry branches that they were selling for like $50 for a set of 6 branches?  Um...can we say highway robbery??

Anyhoo...back to my reality...and off to the dollar store.

I'll go ahead and show you my Ballard-inspired mantle so you can see what I'm talking about...




So this is where I say...It's the same...but different...

BD's garland didn't have ornaments.  or lights. (remember when I said simple isn't in my vocab?)  And their mantel was much longer and deeper than mine, and it held more candlesticks.

I got the vases from the dollar store.  (dolla dolla, holla holla).   I originally kept them clear, and wrapped burlap around them (see above) with the berry branches (mine are from hob lob $1/each).   But I really wanted the look of the mercury glass without paying for it.

So I grabbed some stainless steel spray paint, and sprayed the INSIDE of the vase.



Oh...and I painted my stocking holders ORB (oil-rubbed bronze)...too

I did add more green berries to the red berries...

But alas...it's OK...I'll battle it again next year.  But I have realized that maybe my stocking holders are my problem...they are taking up too much room...




Your thoughts & comments welcome...

merry merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment