Friday, January 7, 2011

Kitchen Backsplash!

The backsplash is DONE!  (It's only been 7 months since I bought the tiles!!)

Here is a quick before and after...




When we moved into the house, the tile backsplash was an ivory with fruit tiles randomly placed.  (sorry for the old photo)



Behind the sink, the tiles were made into a fruit basket--which I'm sure was pretty hip back in the late 80's, but now--notsomuch.  This is what I think it looked like before...  I have repressed that memory way far back in my brain.  (just googling 'fruit basket backsplash' images made me want to throw up all my guts)



The ivory tiles reminded me of bathroom tiles, and had to go. 

I eventually painted the tiles.  I just primed them, and used a semi-gloss paint.  It was a good temporary fix and totally recommend painting tiles if you can get away with it.




But for this lipstick fix, I used the faux tin tiles from Lowe's
The tiles are 19.95/each.  Now--not exactly cheap, but I bought a few at a time.  I think I used about 13?  So you do the math.  Still relatively inexpensive compared to other options.

It was easy to work with...easy to cut with regular scissors...and most importantly, VERY FORGIVING for this ADD girl.

I didn't even use liquid nails...When I went back for a couple more tiles, they had some double sided adhesive tape with the trim and outlet pieces, so I grabbed a couple of rolls. 


It works great so far.  I'm sure I'll put more permanent hold on it at some point down the line.  But right now, it's working great.

The matching outlet covers are $10 each.  Um, no thanks.  I spray painted our cream outlet covers with a stainless steel color spray paint.  After it dried, then I sprayed them with a coat of gloss enamel.  Buying the outlet covers would have cost me $70 extra dollars.  But both cans of paint together were less than $10.  Duh! 



I'm so thrilled with the results!  Goodbye tile squares!  Here are more before and afters...








I'll hang something above the sink soon...and in true Judith fashion, it's not quite finished...this dang cabinet trim work is going to be the death of me!

Anyhoo...whatcha think?

5 comments:

  1. i remember the pics of your fruit tiles when you first moved in. you've come a long way, baby! love the backsplash!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw these at Home Depot and wanted to try them, but haven't yet. Was it hard to cut out the holes for outlets/light switches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing the same backsplash from Home Depot for two years and by golly, this is the year I'm getting it done! It looks soooo gooood in your kitchen! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how it turned out! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, it looks great! Thanks for sharing, mind if I add a link to to your post in mine?

    ReplyDelete