Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Make new friends but keep the old....

one is silver, the other--gold.

That is one of my favorite quotes.  And this past weekend, I was able to see an old friend who I haven't seen in 20 years!  A friend that is more like a long lost sister.

Let me tell you our story....

Once upon a time, in a land called Hillshire, there were two women who lived across the street from each other named Tori and Paula.  They had bible studies together, and they each had a teenage boy who were about the same age and got into a lot of trouble, both together and apart.  But not only did the teenage boys bond them, they were both also pregnant with baby girls, and due around the same time.

Paula had her baby first.  A beautiful girl named Judith was born on December 23.  Then 5 days later, Tori had her beautiful baby girl named Katherine born on December 28.

And so began my friendship with Katie.  (or Kate as she is known now :)


me and Kate, and our twist-a-beads


me, Tori (Kate's mom), and Kate

The short story is that Katie and family moved to Texas when we were 6 years old.  (sniff, sniff, wiping tear)  But we kept in touch.  We were pen pals.  (do kids even know what pen pals are these days??)  We wrote letters to each other, and of course sent each other birthday cards.  My mom and I made a couple of trips to Texas through the years.  But the last time we saw each other was about 20 years ago...we were about 13. 

But even before Myspace and Facebook, we did email every once in a while.  But thanks to facebook we really re-connected.  It is crazy that we have really led parallel lives, and had the same experiences growing up and in college, and in married-with-kids life, and have waaay too much in common.  We think that some shennanigans went on back in '77 and that we really are sisters who were separated at birth :)

So fast forward to this past weekend.  My cousin was getting married on NYE in Dallas, and it was the perfect opportunity for us to catch up with each other.  Kate lives in Houston now, but she would be in Dallas the week after christmas to be with her mom and dad.

We met for dinner on Thursday night with her parents, husband and 2 girls.  I had my kids, too, so you know how much convo we didn't get to have.  But it was ok since we talk all the time on facebook anyway.  But it was good to see Tori and Paula reunite.  They haven't changed a bit in 20 years.


my mom Paula, and Kate's mom Tori

It was really neat to see our girls playing so well with each other.  I hope that one day they become good friends like us. 




And we are working on an arranged marriage with the 2 year olds.  (no pics of the 2 of them--they were a bit tooo busy) I think the Moose will be a good catch!

After dinner, we put our kids to bed, and headed out for 'dessert' so we could celebrate our birthdays and have some mommy time.  yay for mommy time!

We got to see them again on Saturday night before we left.  But again, not much convo chasing around the kiddos!  But it was fun to be together!

And just for fun...here is a before and after!

Then...


and now...

And we have vowed it will NOT be another 20 years before we see each other again!
Love you Kate!

1 comment:

  1. You nut you are going to make me cry!!! I'm posting a link to this post for everyone to read. or maybe I'll just copy and paste. I love you too sweet friend! Maybe I can come to Memphis solo sometime?!?!?! Whoa!!!!

    ReplyDelete