Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Photo Wall Ideas


On my decorating bucket list for 2011, one item would be photo gallery walls. 

I want to put one in our entry way, our den, and hallway.

Now, keep in mind that I have been editing and printing pictures for these so called walls since M was born.  And I have a folder on my jump drive labeled photo wall, alway updating it.  I'm kind of a picture freak nut, but have had a hard time executing this project for several reasons:

1) I was stuck on just one photo wall in the hallway, but I couldn't narrow down the pictures to use.  I wanted to use them all!  (I have a hard time seeing the forest through the trees--didn't even really 'see' the other walls in our house because I was content with what was on them);  

2) My need for perfection--like having the mats and frames match (and I know spray paint can fix that), and having an equal number of pictures to represent each kid stalls me.  We also have a big, close, extended family on both sides...so I want to have everyone represented:

3) Figuring out how many 5x7 vs 8x10 vs 4x6 frames/mats I really needed;

4) I love black and white photos...but not all of my pics are black and white.  Can I get away with mixing color photos + B&W?

5) It would be a project that would take some time, and my ADD kicks in before I even start, and oh yeah

6) there is this thing called time, that I don't have enough of.


So all my pictures are stacked in the bookcase cabinet, or stored on the jump drive just waiting to be put up!

When we got our flat screen earlier in the year, I was having a hard time trying to decorate around it. 

But while perusing blogland the other day, I saw where Tammy In Stiches had done a gallery wall behind her tv.




Why didn't I think of that?  Oh wait...I know why.  My need for balance of round vs. square was taking over any other thought process.  But actually seeing it in this picture confirms that I am crazy it will be ok.

Here is TDC's photo wall on her staircase, and in her bedroom...



I love how TDC creates the custom look of matting with paint--she paints the matboard (or whatever background paper you can find) the same color as the wall.  But if you wanted all white or cream mats, you could just use spray paint. Or use your could use burlap to give texture---so many colors to choose from.  These options will eliminate the need for 5 million mats to be purchased.  She prints her pics out on her printer on regular paper, too, because you can't even tell when it's behind the glass.

And check out Sawdust and Paperscraps' photo walls...Amazing.


But I think I may go with the ledge option from Knock-off Wood guru Ana White...What do you think?  I wouldn't have to think so much about what frame goes where, and make a million nail holes, etc, etc.  And I could mix and match frames and colors of frames, (like blacks/browns) and add to it easily.


If I used this option, then I wouldn't need 3 photo walls!   

Thoughts?  Comments?

Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. i like the ledges. girl, we are too alike - we like to change things too often. think of the holes. do the ledges and sprinkle some free hanging ones around. btw - i have the pb ones at the top of my stairs. best purchase i ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith,

    Putting up a Photowall can be very daunting as there are so many things to consider. We have a list of 7 things to think about before putting up a Photowall (it may be of use to you or it just may add to your confusion, hopefully it's helpful - http://www.fridgi.com.au/Photowall-Tips.html)

    I have a Photowall at home with about 100 6x4 photos on it. The thing I love about it is that I can quickly look at the photos in the morning and it lifts my mood for the rest of the day.

    Good luck with yours !

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including mine. Don't over think it, just go for it girl ! It will be great....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very late into this conversation...did you do it? I just made a large photo wall in my living room. I like order too, so I used all black frames with white or ivory mattes. I plan to change the pictures when I get tired of them. I could change any frame too I guess and as long as it is the same size I won't have to make new nail holes in the wall. I don't like putting holes in the wall either, but I decided we have to live here...so I took a deep breath and did it. :)
    I used a big piece of wrapping paper to decide how big I wanted my arrangement to be, and then arranged all the frames on the paper laid out on the floor. When I was happy with it I traced around all the frames and numbered them all on the paper and matched the numbers on the frames with green painters tape. Then we put the paper back up on the wall, put up all the nails, hung the pictures matching the numbers, stood back...took them all down, removed the paper, put them all back up...and voila! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this topic. I want know some helpful things from this side. It is one of the best post from other. It is a useful and charming post.It is extremely helpful for me.
    Photo Keychains

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!! I can't wait to do it myself!


    You can find out more about Send Personalized Gifts to India and more at www.tiedribbons.com

    ReplyDelete