Monday, February 14, 2011

9 Years Ago Today...

Hubby proposed.

I wasn't really expecting a proposal that night.  Hoping--yes.  But not expecting. 

We worked part-time gigs together at Dillards.  He was a part-time secruity officer and I worked in men's fragrance.  I had heard some chatter at Dillards, but tried not to think anything of it.

We had planned to go to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.  When he picked me up from my apartment, I assumed we would exchange gifts there at the apartment.  He said, no, let's exchange gifts at the restaurant.  I was like, no, I would rather exchange them here.  (um, dude, I got you candy and boxers.  not a good present to be opened at a restaurant)

He persisted so I grabbed his gift bag and we were on the way downtown.

We arrived downtown, and as we walked from the parking garage to the restaurant, I noticed his gift bag.  It had a teddy bear in it. 

At that moment I tried to manage my hopes, and thought, no proposal tonite.  How cliche' anyway.  A proposal on Valentine's?  Nah.

We ordered dinner then I gave him his boxers and candy.  I opened my bag, with a teddy bear and a box of turtles.  I did my best to act totally cool, and not let him see any disappointment.  "Oh turtles, great!  I love turtles!"  I put the bear and chocolates back in the bag.

He kept saying, don't you want a turtle?  I was like, no, that's ok.  He kept persisting on the dang turtles.  So finally I was like, ok.  I'll eat a turtle.

And sure enough, I opened the box, and the ring was on top of the middle turtle.

(photo courteousy of google)

The rest of the night was a blur.  I don't think I even ate the dinner.

We were married later that year in October.


Happy Valentine's Day honey! 
Thank you for asking!
143

10 comments:

  1. I remember!!! You flew to Atlanta the next day and told me as soon as you got off the plane. What a happy Valentine's Day memory for you both!!! Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ya!
    stop by my neighborhood to see who got an award honorable mention! ;) {i know you have received this award recently, but wanted to share you & your blog w/ my other peeps!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. By far....a true fairytale. :) What a wonderful way to always remember the a memorable day of your love and the beginnings of your ever after.

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story....He is a romantic...asking on V-day!!! So fun to get to know you better, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! How sweet and cool!

    BTW -- Turtles are my downfall :) I would eat them at every meal if I could haha

    ReplyDelete