Hubby thought the irritation was from the shampoo not washing off all the way and getting caught behind her ears. I would put Aquaphor behind them, but only to wake up to nasty greasy hair in the morning.
So I switched shampoo to an Aveeno natural. But still crusty. Even though bottles say 'natural & organic', obviously there is still alcohol hidden in there somewhere.
But when I mentioned it to my sister Melody, she said she has the same thing. It's called Seborrheic Dermatitis. Google it. I'll spare you the pictures. It's not pretty.
Melody said she tried every dandruff shampoo on the market, but nothing worked. Until she found California Baby Calming Shampoo and Body Wash.
Product description: A concentrated, gentle, non-stripping cleanser. California Baby®'s light & fresh Calming™ essential oil blend adds to the bathing experience. Leaves hair noticeably shiny, soft, and manageable. Our customers have reported excellent results with this shampoo & body wash in their fight against eczema and other skin sensitivities. Great travel size.
- A great non-drying facial wash for adults (and teenagers!) with sensitive or problem skin.
- Thinning hair? Use in place of harsh shampoos that can contribute to hair loss
- Safe for chemically treated hair
Benefits & Features:
- Contains organic and sustainably grown ingredients
- Cleansing agent: 100% Decyl polyglucose (sugar/corn starch)
- No Sodium lauryl sulfate (google it-bad stuff in most all shampoos), DEA, or numbing agents
- No tears, non-irritating, non-stripping formula. Safe and gentle
- Two products in one--use head to toe. May be used for hair, face and body
- Great for babies, kids, or adults with chemically sensitive skin. Will not irritate eczema or cradle cap. Reports of healing even stubborn cases
When we were in Atlanta this past weekend for my nephew's birthday party, Mel let us try the California Baby. I've washed M's hair 3x with it, and the dermatitis is gone! It's still a little flaky, but no redness and oozing. I'm sold!
They don't carry it at Walgreens or Walmart. Melody buys it at Target. It's also carried at Whole Foods and Babies r Us. It's not exactly cheap, but well worth M not having the funk behind her ears! It also comes in a conditioner and de-tangler.
Check out Californa Baby. They have many other natural products for suncare, pregnancy, skin care, diaper care, bug spray, and much more. Jessica, the developer of California Baby has a blog about natural living if you want to check her out.
I'm definitely going to buy some of this spray for my car and try it out before I pick the kids up from school. I'll let you know how it works. I hope it comes in gallon sizes because I'm not sure the 6.5 oz. is going to be enough for my Miss Crankypants.
And believe me, I'm not a 'green' or 'organic' kind of girl. (ducking tomatoes being thrown at me) My kids eat more chicken nuggets than I care to admit. But I am on the 'Green Team' at work
Anyway--seriously, this product has opened my eyes about what is really in the products we use everyday. Go check it out.
But I refuse to give up my Diet Coke. just sayin.