Sunday, March 13, 2011

New Life for a Mirror

I showed you the mirror that was in our dining room before I redecorated.  I had picked it out from a furniture showroom after we first bought our house.  But the decorator I had consulted said no. (another story in itself)  But I was in love with it anyway, so my parents bought it for me as a housewarming gift. 


It has hung in our dining room since we moved in. 
This past year, I painted the green leaves blue when I changed up the color scheme. 

Then I changed the color scheme again, and bought an oval mirror.  

It's been in the attic for a few months.  I have been planning to put it on our mantle, but wanted to paint it first.

Hubby and I had a date night Friday night.  So where did we go after dinner and drinks??  Wal-Mart, of course!  Where else can you get paint at 11:00 at night?  I haven't bought paint at Wal-Fart in a while.  I kinda like the fact that they don't have a huge selection of colors.  It's better for my a.d.d.  It's not so overwhelming.

I grabbed a quart of Glidden Sea Spray.




I painted a couple of thin coats on the mirror, then grabbed my black glaze.

Check her out now.


I love how all the details pop with the glaze.

I like how some of the paint rubbed off and the red and gold came through. 

It was already 'crackled'.  I'm not a huge fan of crackle...but I like it here.

And just for giggles...before and after
One more time..


I've got a couple more projects I'm working on with the Sea Spray color. 
Stay tuned...


Linking up to:

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!


UndertheTableandDreaming

Keeping It Simple

Making




Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden



Domestically Speaking






15 comments:

  1. date night? walmart? paint? it doesn't get any better than that! :)

    I love the new look of your mirror. huge transformation!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how this came out. Great job. And nice date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe how gorgeous that turned out! Honestly, it's so pretty. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, love. the color is perfect and what a way to resurrect that mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing makeover! Love the distressing. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just makes me wanna go and find something to transform right NOW! Beautiful and well done.

    Sue

    Visiting via Circle of Bliss
    http://www.elementsofhomecleaning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like shopping late at night like that. It's way less crowded and easier to shop. Hate getting paint at Wal-mart only because they never have help in the paint section and nobody wants to come.

    Your mirror is a huge improvement over the before. I love that shade of robin's egg blue anyway, but I really like it the way you distressed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you hadnt said so I would have never believed those two were the exact same mirror. Man what a transformation some paint and galze makes!!! Im not a huge fan of crackle either but I have to agree, it looks amazing on your mirror. And the red popping through gives it so much more depth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! And I love the crackle! Might have to buy some paint that color . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous- I love the color and I like the crackle, I do like a crackle but not when there is a contrasting color- I like it to look like the finished is aged, just like it is here.
    -Laurie
    Little Blue Chairs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with gail...pain + date night is FAB!

    I love the finished product - looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome! Great job! I want one. :-)
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! What a great transformation! I love the color you chose for your mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to get some glaze! I love how this turned out!
    (If you have a minute, I'd love it if you'd link up to All Things Inspired... :)
    xo
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete