Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Confessions of a Thrift-a-holic: (Online) Yard Sale Edition

It's that time of year again.  Time for my yearly yard sale.  Leave it to me to wait till June to have one.  I guess I am a glutton for punishment. 

Like a lot of people, the spring/summer time puts me in purge mode.  It's the season of yardsales, and time to spring clean (or in my case, summer clean), and get lighten your load. It's cathartic. 

But for me, when I enter our attic, it is a stark reminder of my past shopping binges, and it's mentally stressful.  I mean, it's stuff.  Things.  And the amount of the useless stuff literally makes me sick to my stomach. 

And lugging all the crap down to the garage sucks, because then it's a reminder to hubby of how much I have spent.  But thank goodness he doesn't say anything.  He forces a smile, sets up a tent and a fan, and helps me bring tables out to the driveway.  Yes, it's hard to comprehend spending $25 on a shower curtain that hung for 1 month, and then selling them for $5.  It makes no sense.  And believe me, it frustrates me more than anyone.

If you have lurked here for a while, you will remember that 2009 was my reality check.  And it's been a process of recognizing my behavior.  I still struggle.  Trust me.  It's an everyday battle between myself and home accessories--my drug of choice.

For a minute I thought--I'll put pics of some things on FB to sell before-hand.  I took some pics...posted a few on FB...sold a few things...then deleted the album.  Why?  Because it's sinful of how much crap I have bought.  And never used.  And never returned to the store.

I did use this rug.  Even when I bought it last year, I knew it was temporary. 


Sorry to give you a crick in your neck.  I bought 2 of these cedar chests from Big Lots when I was preggo with the Moose.  We never opened the 2nd one.  


And no doubt, a lot of things I have kept over the years because 'I might use it one day!'  Or--'I'll do that project next month!'  Even though I haven't touched it in 3 years. 

Like this picture from our first house. 


I can't bear to part with it.  I've brought it down to my past couple of yard sales.  The first time it didn't sell.  Since it's canvas my plan was to paint something over it.  Fast forward 2 years later.  Still sitting in the attic.  This year I brought it down again, but I couldn't put it out to sell.  My new plan is to take the canvas out of it, and put a mirror in it.  We'll see how and when I execute that project.  

I am addicted to round things...trays, plates, baskets...you name it.  I sold this stack.  But there is another stack about 5 different stacks of round things I can't part with just yet.  Um, hello photo wall project!!


I usually buy the kid's clothes from consignment, or from a friend.  So I don't mind selling their things in a yard sale. 

ha!  I just noticed the leftover macaroni.  nice.



um, I think I have a throw pillow addiction, too.

While trying to change up my color scheme a little, notice all the green stuff that is being purged.




Ahhh yes...the Rooster phase...


It's sad that even after the purge, the attic is still full.  I still struggle.  Full of projects waiting to be completed, and accessories that I might use down the road.  (you never know...we could win the lotto and move into a bigger house!) 

Last year's yard sale brought in $600, which paid for my trip to South Beach. 

Hubby asked me what I was going to do with the money I made this year.  'Are you going to buy more stuff?'   Uh...um...Hmmm...(face flushing)  huh?  Me?  Buy more stuff?  (cough, cough)  Is it hot in here?

South Beach is cancelled this year.  But I will use some of it to hire a painter to paint the den.  Yes, in theory I could paint the 20' celings myself.  But in reality, it hasn't happenend in a year, so I will pay for that convenience.  So please don't yank my DIY card just yet.

I haven't finished tallying this year's sale...because I still have things to sell that didn't make it to the garage, and that I'm NOT giving to Goodwill, and I'm not in the mood for Craigslist, either.  

So--are you in the mood to shop?  Here are a few things I will sell to my fellow bloggy buddies.  If you are interested in purchasing, send me an email to judithmcgee77 at yahoo dot com.   All prices include shipping.  I will then send you an invoice through paypal.  Once I receive payment, I will ship to you!  





Bacati Boy's Crib Bedding Set (retail $180)
Includes:  Quilt, bumper, cribskirt, 2 throw pillow, 1 blanket, 1 diaper stacker
$80


SLAH Sassy Wall Sconce (set of 2)
$20

Set 2 Circo 84" panels
$25

Set 2 Waverly 96" backtab panels (valence not included)
$25


We'll see how this goes...
happy online shopping!






No comments:

Post a Comment