Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Dork for Dave

Last Wednesday was an EPIC day. 

Why, you might ask?

Because last week, I got a Bobblehead Dave Brown.  Yes, Memphis girls...don't be jealous.  If you are not from around these parts, Dave Brown is a local weatherman.  He's been on the air for over 30 years...so he's like a local celebrity. 


Here is a pic of me and Dave a few years ago (I was prego with the Moose).  We saw him at Putt-Putt one day, and I broke out in hives.  He is a celebrity to me.  I can't describe it...it's not like a crush or anything. 


(that's not a cigarette...it's a putt-putt pencil!)

Not like my little crush on Joe Birch.  I did meet Joe one day a year or so ago at Holiday Ham on Union.  I was so flustered, I didn't even think to get a picture.  He was so sweet.


Ahem, anyways...

A few months ago Channel 5 had a 'Win a Bobblehead Dave' contest.  My friend Amanda is a big fan, too, so we both entered the contest several times, but we didn't win.  Booo.

Fast forward to last week.  Amanda lives in Texas now and was in town for a visit.  We like to meet at the Cupboard for lunch.  They have THE best homecooking!!  If you haven't had their corn pudding--you must try it!

Just for giggles, I emailed Dave.  (we are on a first name basis like that, you know?)  It never hurts to ask, right?   Here is my email to him..

Hi Dave,


I feel silly emailing you, but my friend Amanda and I are huge fans. Amanda lives in Texas now, but is in town for a visit. We are having lunch on Wednesday at noon at the Cupboard, and I thought it would be fun to surprise her with a bobble head. (we both tried to win, but didn't) And you are more than welcome to join us for lunch!


I know you have probably been swamped with bobble head requests…I appreciate you taking the time to read this. We do have some mutual friends…I go to Faith Baptist with Keith & Donna Brigham, and friends with the Rittenberry's. (we miss them!)

Have a great week,
Judith

I didn't just want to ask him for a bobblehead.  So I threw in the lunch invitation.  The Cupboard is just a couple of blocks from the station.  I also threw the mutual friend reference in there just to let him know I wasn't some crazy pyscho girl.  Well, maybe a little crazy, but aren't we all?  And I left my work signature on the email, too, again, I'm not a psycho girl inviting him to lunch.  I never thought I would get a response.  But he emailed me back a couple hours later.

Hey Judith,


Thank you for the kind words and invitation. I won’t be able to make lunch, but I have arranged for a Bobblehead Dave to be left at our front desk for you. You can pick it up anytime during our regular business hours at 1960 Union Avenue.

Thanks for watching us on Action News 5!


Dave Brown
Chief Meteorologist
WMC-TV Memphis

How awesome is that?  But wait.  He said Bobblehead.  Singular.  I have to be honest I was a little crushed.  My heart went into my stomach.  I wanted one, too!!!  But that's ok.  Beggars can't be choosers, right?

So I went to pick up the Bobblehead Dave.  There was one with my name on it.  I asked the girl, just to make sure, 'He didn't leave 2, did he?'  She said no.  I made a sad face.  But then she made a face like, oh who cares!  And handed me another box!!!! 

I cannot tell you how happy and excited I was!!  I couldn't wait until lunch to surprise Amanda.  I was about to bust.

By now you're thinking...seriously?  It's a freakin bobblehead.  Of a weatherman.  I know, I know.  I can't explain it.  I am a dork for Dave.

When we got to lunch, I gave Amanda her 'happy'.  And she was just as excited as I was!  We giggled like schoolgirls.  She even got a little 'veklempt'.  I told her the whole story, and we just laughed the whole time while people who walked past us kept looking at Bobblehead Dave sitting at his place on the table.



I did keep an eye out on the door..you know...just in case he decided to join us.  You never know.

Now Dave sits with me at my desk...


And who knew that a Bobblehead Dave would bring so much joy.  It's the little things in life, you know?

5 comments:

  1. I am a Memphis Girl also! I love Dave Brown too! What would the weather be without Dave Brown... I don't even want to think about that! I think it is so neat you got a bobble head of him! I love and enjoy reading your blog everyday and getting all tons of ideas! :)It is so excited to know another Christian in the blog world and even better to know we live in the same area!!! I go to Central Church in Collierville. Thank you so much for all your writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. You are a dork. Ha! But I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My news guy crush is John Bryant. Her accepted my facebook friends request last week. Yeah, be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never get tired of reading this post. One of the best!! :-)

    ReplyDelete