Monday, July 4, 2011

It's in my DNA

Yep, this apple did not fall far from the tree.



That's my mom--Paula. 

And she likes to re-decorate over and over, and has never been skeered to paint some furniture!  She inherited it from my Nana, who did the same thing, too.  It was also passed down to my two aunts.  My Aunt Judy has an addiction to home accessories, too.  I love going to her house because I don't feel so crazy.   It's just in our DNA. 

When we were at her house last night, I remembered to take some pics of some of her pieces she has re-done so I can show you. 

I love this rusty red dresser.  I'm not sure on what exact color she used as a base.  Then she glazed it.  I'm sure either the paint or glaze was a metallic.  Paula loves metallics. 


And I am envious of her stencilling skills. 


I mean, how awesome is that?


I'm pretty sure Paula was painting french provencial before anyone else. I think I need a t-shirt or a bumper sticker made to say: MY MOM PAINTED FRENCH PROVENCIAL BEFORE PAINTING FRENCH PROVENCIAL WAS COOL!   lol. 

This dresser top and base is a dark brown gel-stain.  The drawers are a peach with metallic glaze.


Here is another french provencial piece.  A few years ago she painted it black with gold trim.  (sorry-no pic)But it's time for an update.

It's not finished yet, but she re-painted it (see hubby--I'm not crazy) a light blue/turquoise and added more gold stenciled embellishments.  I suggested to her that she needed to get new hardware for it, too.  We'll see what she does.  I can't wait to see it finished.


Do you remember when we got rid of our entertainment center in our den and I brought in a new dresser?  My parents got the entertainment center to use in their office.  Of course mom had to put her touch on it, and she used her favorite gel-stain.  It's looks totally different.

Before...(darn you honey oak!)


After...
Why didn't I do this?


Another recent project was the Hoosier cabinet in her sunroom.  Mom inherited her Grandmother's Hoosier cabinet back in the 80's.  She did some work on it then and we used it in our kitchen when I was growing up.  After a move, it was stored for a while---but brought back out in her enclosed sunroom in their present house.


Recently, she thought about selling it.  Of course I wanted it, but didn't have room for it.  But she didn't want to give it to me to have it sit in my attic either.  Hoosier cabinets are worth a pretty penny, and hers is in good shape.  But after going to one of her friend's house, she got some inspiration and decided to keep it and paint it.  Just look how cute it is now!

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it is a very pale turquoise.

She took the doors off the hutch, and changed up the hardware.





And just for giggles, one more before and after...





Go Paula. 
Proud to call you mom.  Love you!

2 comments:

  1. Go Paula! woot! woot! seriously love that you can share your love of re-do's with your mom. my mom could care less! lol and my daughter.. well, i'm still working on her! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dresser with the peach drawers. Love!

    ReplyDelete