Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pier 1 Knock-off Mirror

Like most of my other projects, my master bedroom makeover has stalled.  (you can read about it here and here)  After re-staining the dresser, I decided not to attach the mirror.  I hung an old mirror there in the meantime.

I've been eyeing this Ivory Embossed mirror from Pier 1.  I love the chunkiness of it.  But I do not love the $150 price tag.  Can I get an amen?


After my recent yard sale and looking at my framed canvas that didn't sell, it hit me. 



I haven't used it in years. I keep telling myself that one day I will paint over the canvas. Fast forward 5 years, and no re-painting of the canvas has occurred.  I've tried to sell it a couple of times in yard sales, but no bites. So my theory--it's just meant to stay with me. Because this sucker is NOT going to Goodwill.  The frame is just too gorgeous.  I love the wood carving, and the canvas border.  Idk..it gives it another layer.



I've been so stuck on the idea of re-painting the canvas, I never thought about taking the canvas OUT of the frame!  Duh!

I ripped the paper off the back and removed the canvas.  


haaaay!!!


Then I grabbed the infamous Rustoleum Heirloom White and painted that sucker.  I had a quart on hand from some past project.


I originally thought about glazing it, but decided not to.  I just used sandpaper to rough it up a little, so that some of the brown showed through.





I bought a 1/8" thick 24x36 mirror at Lowe's for $25 and inserted into the frame. 

(um...do you know how hard it is to get a good pic of a mirror??  especially when you are trying NOT to photgraph the mess that the mirror reflects!)









(one of these days I will pick a paint color :)


Before....


and after....


Compare to inspiration


I'm pretty sassified.
And for $25--I'm VERY sassified.




Linking up to 



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



UndertheTableandDreaming 

 Keeping It Simple











Making

beforeAndAfterButton
Anything Related







17 comments:

  1. great job. That frame is just great and you did a wonderful paint job!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at when people do knock offs & they turn out as great as yours!
    Stopping by from the Sunday Showcase Party.
    Would you please link this up to My Favorite Things Friday Party! I would love it if you did =D
    Thanks
    ~Iffy~
    www.stayathomenation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I love what creative minds can do with stuff from our own houses! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it. and i love that it didn't cost $150!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! So much better than the Pier 1 mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! (I didn't know anyone else said 'sassified'!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your mirror looks 100% better than PB! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! It's always so much more satisfying to make something than spend big bucks.
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant!
    I just love someone who can see beyond what is THERE and see what COULD be there.
    And you did that beautifully!
    It's lovely.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh...what a little ingenuity can do! You did a great job and Pier 1 has nothing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVELY!! What a great idea---and I can't tell you how many cans of Heirloom white I have gone thru...FAVORITE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fantastic! If you have a moment, I would love for you to share this project on my Inspiration Board.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/07/inspiration-board-link-party_12.html
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    carolyn | homework

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks fantastic! I did something similar and I need to take photos and post about it. :)

    Which Heirloom White did you use? Spray or liquid? What brand? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is exactly what I plan to do with my too dark mirror frame. Thanks for the step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this! I bought a mirror similar to the one shown but with the gold frame. I got it for practially nothing as it had a small crack on the mirror in the corner. Didn't quite know what to do with it, but I am heading to the store this weekend for paint! I am going to put a small vase right in front of it as it sit on my mantle. No one will ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I almost bought this mirror yesterday for $179.00 from Pier One until I saw your blog!!! Your project is simply fantastic ....and the money saved.... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete