Thursday, September 8, 2011

Funky Fall Wreath

I am loving all the modern wreaths everyone is making now.  There are a ton out there on Pinterest. 




But I really haven't thought about doing one because 1) it's called a modern wreath.  I'm a traditional girl.  I think the word 'modern' scares me; and 2) those felt flowers.  Sure, they are way cute.  But I'm not so much a craft girl, to sit down and cut out circles to make those felt flowers.  Not going to happen.

But last week I saw Decor Chick's new yarn wreath, and it all came together in my head.


Rewind to 3 weeks ago:  I bought some things to make to make a new fall wreath, along with a grapevine wreath like I ususally use.   I REALLY went out of my comfort zone and even bought an OVAL grapevine wreath, instead of a round one.  (am I a rebel, or what?!)  I was going to copy this one I saw on Pinterest.  But make it oval, instead of round.  Yeah.  I'm a rebel.


But for some reason, the grapevine wreath wasn't working for me this time.  I think I was having a wreath-block, if there is such a thing.  A creative block for sure.  My flowers and wreath have been sitting on my dining room table for almost a month.  But after I saw Decor Chick incorporate silk on her modern wreath, it clicked, and I decided to give it a go.  (geez I think about things way too much). 

I went to Michaels's to get another wreath, plus some yarn.  While walking around, looking at the yarn in my basket, I got to thinking.... (there I go again)  thinking about my attention span, and if I really had the patience to wrap a wreath in yarn.  Yeah, I'm thinking no.

Keep in mind, it's late on Labor Day, and Hobby Lobby and the other fabric stores are closed.  My choices were limited, and I wanted to finish this wreath that night!  My thoughts shifted gears, and I thought about wrapping the wreath in a feather boa, but would need several.  At $9 a pop at Michaels, I thought the dollar store would have some boas in the kids section. 

Off to the dollar store, and of course, negative on the black boas.  BUT, I did come across this stuff...Creepy Cloth.  I bought 3.  I'm down with 3 bucks.




Before I wrapped, I spray painted the wreath black...


then wrapped the wreath... 
I kinda like the creepy cloth. It's basically black gauze, which gives it some texture, and a little funk? 



Ok...enough talky...

Here is my modern, funky, fall wreath.  I love it. 
(Forgive my night-time pics.)




(don't look too close at my M.  It's a Monet...it looks good from a distance, but close up, it's a mess.  I painted it with M's crayola craft paint :)

I'll probably add another green feather at the top. 
And I'm sure an owl will find his way in there, too.

But for now, I'm so stinkin excited that I finished a project!!!






Linking up to:



6 comments:

  1. I love it!!! I want to do the yellow one with the garnet flowers you posted since we're FSU fans in our house. I bookmarked it and hope to do it within the next week or two. It's so easy Misty can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SUPER FABULOUS! I love the polka dotted letter and feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! I really love it! Its so funky and fun! I love the colors and everything about it! Im going to pin it right now! Thanks for sharing!
    Ky
    http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it - it is funky and fun:):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I love how its for "fall" but is such fun and bright colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, this is amazing!! I lovelovelove it!!
    What would make it better? A glitter owl, yep.. fo sho!

    ReplyDelete