Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bootcamp

Like any girl, I've always been up and down in my weight.  In high school, you really take for granted that thing called metabolism.  In college, I discovered beer. (sorry Mom)  After graduation, I quit drinking beer every night and lost some of that weight.  I got skinny for my wedding, then put on some pounds after. 

Then came kids.  With both pregnancies, I gained 60lbs each time.  After Moose, I went back down a little, and I was about 25lbs overweight when I started taking adderall for my shopping compulsions.  The adderall definitely helped with the eating compulsions as well, and helped with portion control, and I got back down to my wedding weight. 

I have worked out a few times in the 3 years since Moose has been around.  I joined a 24hr. gym after he was born, and would work out at 10pm.  That didn't last very long.  So I basically have done nothing for almost 5 years, since the Princess has been born. 

My only form of exercise lately has been climbing 4 flights of stairs in the garage when I leave work.  I am reminded each day that even though I may look skinny, I am probably the most unhealthy and out-of-shape 'skinny' you could be.  When I get to the top of that 4th flight, my heart is beating out of my chest, and I am out of breath for the next 10 minutes.  Sad.  Very sad. 

And on top of that, I have just felt like crap, and haven't felt good in my own skin.  I have been proud of my 'moose pouch', but lately, I can't say that the pouch is from the Moose, it's from not moving!  I know what gets rid of 'the pouch'.  I hear and see Dr. Oz on an Oprah show in head, holding up pounds of fat, saying, "Cardio, cardio, cardio!"  ewww.  

Mentally I have also felt 'blah', and I hear Elle Woods (Legally Blonde) in the courtroom scene in my head, "Exercise gives you endorphins!  Endorphines make you happy!"

In the back of my head, I knew that it's time to do something.  But when?  I work full-time, and don't want to do any classes that interfere with the 3-4 hours I have with the kids.  And lord knows that a 10pm workout isn't going to cut it right now.

So what is the obvious choice?  A 5am workout?  Um, as Whitney Houston would say, 'Hell to the no!'  (excuse my french)

I have never been a morning person.  I am known to snooze at least 10 times in my sleep before I even hear the alarm.  I was late for high school almost every day.  I even had a t-shirt that looked just like this:

 

So what I have I done?  I've signed up for a 5:15am bootcamp, for 5 weeks, on MWFs. 

Yep. I know.  I'm crazy.  But it's the only choice I have. 

I set my phone alarm for 4:30am and leave it in the kitchen.  So I have to get up and turn it off.  I keep my clothes in the den, so I have no reason to walk back into the bedroom.  Once I change my clothes, I am ok. 

This is my 2nd week.  The bootcamp is great, in that it is different everyday, and I get an awesome workout before my brain and body comprehends what is going on.  There are about 20 women in my class, which is like peer pressure in a positive way.  I push myself a lot more than I would working out by myself.  I'm not sure I could do what we do at 7pm at night, when my brain and body are already tired.  To say that I am sore is an understatement.  But even after 3 work-outs, I can see my body changing.  And I've even thought about signing up for a 5k.  WTH?

Our 'drill sergeant', Adina, is motivating in a nice way. I have 'planked' more in 3 sessions than I have ever dreamed about planking.  It's hard to explain what we do...a lot of circuit training for sure.  I will tell you I do a lot of cussing in my head during that 1 hour (sorry again Mom).  It's horrible, but great at the same time.

I missed this morning's session.  I went to bed too late, and 4:30am came really early.  I went back to bed, but have regretted it all day.  Adina sent me an email to see when I was coming back.  I definitely need the accountability, for sure. 

Don't worry, you won't hear me talk about this bootcamp stuff a lot.  Who wants to hear about a girl exercising to get healthy and feel good for grins & giggles, and not really to lose weight?  Not me for sure.  But I'll let you know how it goes at the end of the 5 weeks.

Happy bootcamping!

5 comments:

  1. I've heard great stuff about that boot camp but I'm like you...not a morning person! It is a rule in our household to not speak to me unless I have had a shower or a cup of coffee. Please let me know how it goes! I hope you stick with it b/c that will give me hope after this baby is born haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I am at work when you are bootcamping--so I have to go earlier or much later..ugh. thank goodness for 24 hr gyms though. I just bought new shoes-thinking that of course-this will make me thinner. LOL :) Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a rock star. I'm unhealthy skinny too. I'm so weak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with bootcamp! I'm sure you will do great!

    I just wanted to let you know my blog address changed and this is where you can go if you'd like to link up to Thrifty Thursdays (which is going on if you'd like to link up).

    http://thriftyandfab.blogspot.com/2011/11/17th-thrifty-thursday-link-party.html

    Happy Veterans Day!

    ReplyDelete